Sunday, August 2, 2026

"O Jesu Christ, mein schönst." (#256)

German text in the Gesangbuch:
1 O Jesu Christ, mein schönstes Licht,
der du in deiner Seelen
so hoch mich liebst, daß ich es nicht
aussprechen kann noch zählen:
gib, daß mein Herz dich wiederum
mit Lieben und Verlangen
mög umfangen
und als dein Eigenthum
nur einzig an dir hangen.

2 Gib, daß sonst nichts in meiner Seel,
als deine Liebe, wohne;
gib, daß ich deine Lieb erwähl
als meinen Schatz und Krone;
stoß alles aus, nimm alles hin,
was dich und mich will trennen,
und nicht gönnen,
daß all mein Muth und Sinn
in deiner Liebe brennen.

3 Wie freundlich, selig, süß und schön
ist, Jesu, deine Liebe,
wo diese steht, kann nichts bestehn,
das meinen Geist betrübe;
drum laß nichts anders denken mich,
nichts sehen, fühlen, hören,
lieben, ehren,
als deine Lieb und dich,
der du sie kannst vermehren.

4 O daß ich dieses hohe Gut
möcht ewiglich besitzen;
o daß in mir dies edle Blut
ohn Ende möchte hitzen;
ach, hilf mir wachen Tag und Nacht
und diesen Schatz bewahren
vor den Scharen,
die wider uns mit Macht
aus Satans Reiche fahren.

5 Mein Heiland, du bist mir zu lieb
in Noth und Tod gegangen
und hast am Kreuze wie ein Dieb
und Mörder da gehangen,
verhöhnt, verspeit und sehr verwundt;
ach, laß mich deine Wunden
alle Stunden
mit Lieb im Herzensgrund
auch ritzen und verwunden.

6 Dein Blut, das dir vergossen ward,
ist köstlich, gut und reine;
mein Herz hingegen böser Art
und hart gleich einem Steine.
Ach, laß doch deines Blutes Kraft
mein hartes Herze zwingen,
wohl durchdringen
und diesen Lebenssaft
mir deine Liebe bringen.

7 O daß mein Herze offen stünd
und fleißig möcht auffangen
die Tropfen Bluts, die meine Sünd
im Garden dir abdrangen;
o daß sich meiner Augen Brunn
aufthät, und mit viel Stöhnen
heiße Thräne
vergösse, wie die thun,
die sich in Liebe sehnen.

8 O daß ich wie ein kleines Kind
mit Weinen dir nachginge
so lange, bis dein Herz entzündt
mit Armen mich umfinge
und deine Seel in mein Gemüth
in voller, süßer Liebe
sich erhübe
und also deiner Güt
ich stets vereinigt bliebe.

9 Ach zeuch, mein Liebster, mich nach dir,
so lauf ich mit den Füßen,
ich lauf und will dich mit Begier
in meinem Herzen küssen;
ich will aus deines Wundes Zier
den süßen Trost empfinden,
der die Sünden
und alles Unglück hier
kann leichtlich überwinden.

10 Mein Trost, mein Schatz, mein Licht, mein Heil,
mein höchstes Gut und Leben,
ach, nimm mich auf zu deinem Theil,
wie ich mich dir ergeben;
denn außer dir ist lauter Pein,
ich find hier überalle
nichts denn Galle,
nichts kann mir tröstlich sein,
nichts ist, das mir gefalle.

11 Du aber bist die beste Ruh,
in dir ist Fried und Freude;
gib, Jesu, gib, daß immerzu
mein Herz in dir sich weide.
Sei meine Flamm und brenn in mir,
mein Balsam, wollest eilen,
lindern, heilen
den Schmerzen, der allhier
mich seufzen macht und heulen.

12 Was ists, ach Schönster, das ich nicht
in deiner Liebe habe?
Sie ist mein Stern, mein Sonnenlicht,
mein Quell, da ich mich labe,
mein süßer Wein, mein Himmelsbrod,
mein Kleid vor Gottes Throne,
meine Krone;
mein Schutz in aller Noth,
mein Haus, darin ich wohne.

13 Ach, liebstes Lieb, wenn du entweichst,
was hilft mir sein geboren?
Wenn du mir deine Lieb entzweuchst,
ist all mein Gut verloren;
so gib, daß ich dich, meinen Gast,
wohl such und bestermaßen
möge fassen,
und wenn ich dich gefaßt,
in Ewigkeit nicht lassen.

14 Du hast mich je und je geliebt
und auch nach dir gezogen,
eh ich noch je was Guts geübt,
warst du mir schon gewogen.
Ach laß doch ferner, edler Hort,
mich deine Liebe leiten
und begleiten,
daß sie mir immerfort
beisteh auf allen Seiten.

15 Laß meinen Stand, darin ich steh,
Herr, deine Liebe zieren
und wo ich etwa irre geh,
alsbald zurechte führen;
laß sie mich allzeit guten Rath
und weise Werke lehren,
steuern, wehren
der Sünd und nach der That
bald wieder mich bekehren.

16 Laß sie sein meine Freud in Leid,
in Schwachheit mein Vermögen,
und wenn ich, nach vollbrachter Zeit,
mich soll zur Ruhe legen,
alsdann laß deine Liebestreu,
Herr Jesu, bei mir stehen,
Luft zuwehen,
daß ich getrost und frei
mög in dein Reich eingehen.

Paul Gerhardt, 1666.
My prose translation:
1 O Jesus Christ, my most beautiful light,
You Who in Your soul
Love me so highly so that I cannot
Express nor count it:
Grant that again my heart
With love and desire
May embrace You
And as Your property
Just once cling to You.

2 Grant that nothing else but Your love
Dwells in my soul
Grant that I choose Your love
As my treasure and crown;
Expel everything, take away everything
That wants to separate You and me
And not allow
That all my courage and mind
Burn in Your love.

3 How friendly, blessed, sweet, and beautiful
Is Your love, Jesus;
Where this stands, can nothing remain
That troubles my spirit;
Therefore let me think of nothing else,
See, feel, hear,
Love, honor nothing
But Your love and You,
You Who can increase it.

4 Oh that I may eternally possess
This high good;
Oh that this noble blood
May warm me without end;
Oh, help me watch day and night
And preserve this treasure
From the hordes
That run against us with might
Out of Satan's kingdom.

5 My Savior, You went to me in love
In distress and death
And hung on the cross
Like a thief and murderer,
Mockt, spat upon, and greatly wounded;
Oh, let Your wounds
At all hours
Also scratch and wound me
With love at the bottom of my heart.

6 Your blood, which You poured out,
Is equisite, good, and pure;
My heart, however, [is] of a wicked sort
And hard as a stone.
Oh, yet let the strength of Your blood
Cocern my hard heart,
Pierce [it] well through
And bring this juice of life,
Your love, to me.

7 Oh, that my heart would stand open
And may diligently catch
The drops of blood, which my sin
Forced from You in the garden;
Oh, that the fountain of my eyes
Would open and with much groaning
Shed
Hot tears,
As those do
Who yearn in love.

8 Oh, that like a little child I
With crying would follow You
Until Your heart, inflamed,
Would embrace me with arms
And Your soul
In full, sweet love
Would lift itself
Into my mind
And so I would constantly remain united
In Your goodness.

9 Oh, draw me to You, my Dearest
So I run with my feet;
I run and with desire want
To kiss You in my heart;
Out of the ornament of Your wound I want
To feel the sweet comfort,
Which can easily conquer
The suns
And all disaster here.

10 My Comfort, my Treasure, my Light, my Savlation,
My highest Good and Life,
Oh, receive me into Your portion
As I yield myself to You;
For apart from You is pure suffering;
I find here everywhere
Nothing but gall;
Nothing can be comforting for me;
There is nothing that pleases me.

11 But You are the best rest;
In You are peace and joy;
Grant, Jesus, grant that always
My heart revels in You.
Be my flame, and burn in me;
My balm; You want to hurry
To alleviate [and] heal
The pains that here
Make me sigh and wail.

12 What is there, O Most Beautiful, that I do not
Have in Your love?
It is my star, my sunlight,
My spring where I refresh myself,
My sweet wine, my bread of Heaven,
My garment before God's throne,
My crown,
My protection in all distress,
My house in which I live.

13 O dearest Love, when You escape,
What helps me to be born?
When You pull Your love away from me
All my good is lost;
So grant that I
Seek You, my Guest, well and in the best measure,
May take hold of [You],
And when I have grasped You
Not leave in eternity.

14 You have loved me forever and ever
And even drawn [me] to You;
Before I ever yet practiced any good,
You were already well-disposed towards me.
Oh, furthermore, let, noble Refuge,
Your love lead
And accompany me
So that it continually stands by me
On all sides.

15 Lord, let Your love adorn
My position, in which I stand,
And when I by any chance go astray,
Soon lead [me] to right;
Let it always teach me good counsel
And wise works,
Guide [me], resist
Sin, and after the deed
Soon turn me again.

16 Let it be my joy in suffering,
My ability in weakness,
And when I, after the completed time,
Should lie at rest,
Then let Your faithful love
Stand with me, Lord Jesus,
[And] blow air
That I, comforted and free,
May enter into Your kingdom.

Paul Gerhardt, 1666.
I had to shuffle some elements in numerous verses in order to accommodate English syntax.  I also found the line breaks difficult to distinguish, so I may have accidentally put some in the wrong places.  I'm not too confident in my translation of "hitzen" in the fourth verse as "warm," and there are a handful of words in the thirteenth verse that I'm not sure I translated correctly:  "entweichst" (as "escape"), "entzeuchst" (as "pull away"), and "bestermaßen" (as "in the best measure").

As far as I can tell, this hymn isn't in The Lutheran Hymnal, Lutheran Worship, or The Lutheran Service Book.  According to the Gesangbuch, the text is sung to the tune "Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu."  Here's an  arrangement from Telemann's Fast allgemeines Evangelisch-Musicalisches Lieder-Buch: