Sunday, February 12, 2023

"Herzliebster Jesu, was hast" (#75)

German text in the Gesangbuch:
1 Herzliebster Jesu, was hast du verbrochen,
daß man ein solch scharf Urtheil hat gesprochen?
Was ist die Schuld?  In was für Missethaten
bist du gerathen?

2 Du wirst verspeit, geschlagen und verhöhnet,
gegeißelt und mit Dornen scharf gekrönet,
mit Essig, als man dich ans Kreuz gehenket,
wirst du getränket.

3 Was ist die Ursach aller solcher Plagen?
Ach, meine Sünden haben dich geschlagen!
Ich, ach Herr Jesu, habe dies verschuldet,
was du erduldet.

4 Wie wunderbarlich ist doch diese Strafe!
Der gute Hirte leidet für die Schafe,
die Schuld bezahlt der Herre, der Gerechte,
für seine Knechte.

5 Der Fromme stirbt, so recht und richtig wandelt;
der Böse lebt, so wider Gott mißhandelt;
der Mensch verwirkt den Tod und ist entgangen,
Gott wird gefangen.

6 Ich war von Fuß auf voller Schand und Sünden,
bis zu der Scheitel war nichts Guts zu finden,
dafür hätt ich dort in der Höllen müssen
ewiglich büßen.

7 O große Lieb, o Lieb ohn alle Maße,
die dich gebracht auf diese Marterstraße!
Ich lebte mit der Welt in Lust und Freuden,
und du mußt leiden.

8 Ach, großer König, groß zu allen Zeiten,
wie kann ich gnugsam solche Treu ausbreiten!
Kein menschlich Herze mag ihm dies ausdenken,
was dir zu schenken.

9 Ich kanns mit meinem Sinnen nicht erreichen,
mit was doch dein Erbarmen zu vergleichen;
wie kann ich dir denn deine Liebesthaten
im Werk erstatten?

10 Doch ist noch etwas, das dir angenehme:
Wenn ich des Fleisches Lüste dämpf und zähme,
daß sie aufs neu mein Herze nicht entzünden
mit alten Sünden.

11 Weil aber dies nicht steht in eignen Kräften,
dem Kreuze die Begierden anzuheften,
so gib mir deinen Geist, der mich regiere,
zum Guten führe.

12 Alsdann so werd ich deine Huld betrachten,
aus Lieb an dich die Welt für nichtes achten.
Ich werde mich bemühen, deinen Willen
stets zu erfüllen.

13 Ich werde dir zu Ehren alles wagen,
kein Kreuz nicht achten, keine Schmach, noch Plagen,
nichts von Verfolgung, nichts von Todesschmerzen
nehmen zu Herzen.

14 Dies alles, obs für schlecht zwar ist zu schätzen,
wirst du es doch nicht gar bei Seite setzen.
In Gnaden wirst du dies von mir annehmen,
mich nicht beschämen.

15 Wenn dort, Herr Jesu, wird vor deinem Throne
auf meinem Haupte stehn die Ehrenkrone,
da will ich dir, wenn alles wird wohl klingen,
Lob und Dank singen.

Johann Herrmann, 1630.
(Nach Augustinus.)
My prose translation:
1 Dearest Jesus, what crime have You committed
That one has spoken such a sharp sentence?
What is [Your] guilt?  In what sort of misdeeds
Are You involved?

2 You are scoffed at, beaten, and mocked,
Scourged and crowned with sharp thorns,
As one hung You on the cross,
You are made to drink vinegar.

3 What is the cause of all such torment?
Oh, my sins have beaten You!
I, O Lord Jesus, am to be blamed for this
That You suffer.

4 Yet how marvelous is this punishment!
The good Shepherd suffers for the sheep;
The Lord, the righteous one, pays for the guilt,
For His servants.

5 The pious one, who walks well and properly, died;
The evil one, who mistreats God, lives;
Man avoids death and escapes;
God is caught.

6 From head to toe I was full of shame and sin;
From top to bottom there were nothing good to be found
Therefore in hell I would have to
Suffer eternally.

7 O great love, O love without any measure,
Which brought You to this street of torture!
I lived with the world in desire and pleasure,
And You have to suffer.

8 Oh, great King, great in all times,
How can I sufficiently spread such faithfulness!
No human heart can think
What to give You for this.

9 With my mind I cannot reach it
With which to compare Your compassion;
How then for Your acts of love
Can I repay You in works?

10 Yet there is something that I have taken on for You:
When I suppress and curb desires of the flesh
So that they do not enflame my heart once again
With old sins.

11 But since this doesn't stand within my powers,
To pin my desires to the cross,
Give me Your Spirit, Who rules me
[And] leads me to good.

12 So then I will consider Your grace;
Out of love for You, value the world as nothing.
I will make an effort
Constantly to fulfill Your will.

13 I will venture everything in honor for You;
Ignore no cross; take to heart no humiliation nor plague,
Nothing of persecution,
Nothing of the pains of death.

14 All this, whether for bad, is yet to be valued;
You will not set it to the side at all.
In mercy, You will accept this from me,
Not to shame me.

15 When there, Lord Jesus, before Your throne,
The crown of honor will stand on my head;
There, when everything will sound well, I want
To sing praise and thanks to You.

Johann Herrmann, 1630.
(After Augustinus.)
All of the sources I lookt at translate verwirken as forfeit, but that doesn't really fit the context here (in the fifth verse), so I went with avoid instead.  I also translated the phrases "so recht und richtig" and "so wider Gott mißhandelt" as relative clauses ("who walks well and properly" and "who mistreats God"), although I think they have a different structure, technically.

I was a bit more free with my translations of the phrases "von Fuß auf" and "bis zu der Scheitel" in the sixth verse.  Literally, these are "from foot up" and "up to the top," but I translated them as "from head to toe" and "from top to bottom."

I had to re-arrange the second half of the thirteenth verse so that the list of direct objects follows the verb instead of precedes it.

This hymn appears as "O Dearest Jesus, What Law Hast Thou Broken" in The Lutheran Hymnal (#143) and The Lutheran Service Book (#439) and, in an abbreviated form, as "O Dearest Jesus, What Law Have You Broken" in Lutheran Worship (#119).

According to the Gesangbuch, the text is sung to "its own melody," and this is the tune the text is paired with in all three hymnals.  Here's the arrangement from TLH: