Sunday, November 20, 2022

"Gott Lob, mein Jesus" (#63)

German text in the Gesangbuch:
Gott Lob, mein Jesus macht mich rein
von allen meinen Sünden;
was er büßt, muß bezahlet sein,
nun kann mich nicht mehr binden
der Sünden Strick, des Teufels Macht;
drum mein Glaub Höll und Tod verlacht,
weil Jesus ist mein Leben.

Was traur ich denn?  Er lebt ja noch,
der das Gesetz erfüllet,
der durch den Tod und Kreuzesjoch
des Vaters Zorn gestillet,
was er hat, das ist alles mein;
wie könnt doch größrer Reichthum sein,
als den mir Jesus schenket?

Weil Jesus mich von Sünden rein
durch sein Verdienst will machen,
daß ich, los aller Qual und Pein,
nicht fürcht des Todes Rachen,
so tröst mich seine Heiligkeit,
sein Unschuld, Heil und Seligkeit
ist mein Schatz und mein Leben.

So kann ich auch mit Fried und Freud,
wie Simeon, mein Leben
beschließen, frei von allem Leid,
mich meinem Gott ergeben;
so bald ich thu mein Augen zu,
so wird mein Tod mein Schlaf und Ruh,
seh ich des Himmels Freude.

Wie werd ich denn so fröhlich sein,
wenn ich die Welt verlasse,
wenn mich des Himmels Geisterlein
geführt zur Lebensstraße,
wenn ich erblickt die Ewigkeit,
wenn ich erlangt die Seligkeit,
die mir mein Gott bereitet.

Hilf, Gott, daß ist stets sei bereit,
laß mich nichts von dir wenden,
bring mich zu deiner Herrlichkeit,
hilf seliglich vollenden;
komm bald, hilf mir aus aller Noth,
hilf mir, Herr, durch dein Blut und Tod,
ja komm, Herr Jesu, Amen.

Dr. Johann Olearius, 1671.
My prose translation:
Praise [be] to God, my Jesus makes me clean
From all of my sins;
What He atones for must be paid;
Now the rope of sins, the power of the devil
Can no longer bind me;
Therefore my faith laughs at hell and death
Because Jesus is my life.

For what do I grieve then?  He yet lives
Who fulfilled the law,
Who through death and the yoke of the cross
Stilled the wrath of the Father;
What He has, that is all mine;
How could there be yet greater wealth
Than what Jesus has freely given me?

Because Jesus wants to make me pure
From sins through His service
So that I, loose of all anguish and torment,
Do not fear the jaw of death,
So His holiness comforts me;
His innocence, salvation, and eternal life
Are my treasure and my life.

So can I also with peace and joy,
Like Simeon,
Close out my life free from all sorrow
[And] devote myself to my God;
As soon as I close my eyes
M death becomes my sleep and rest;
I see the joy of Heaven.

How will I be so cheerful then
When I leave the world,
When the spirits of Heaven
Have led me to the road of life,
When I behold eternity,
When I reach the everlasting life
That my God prepares for me.

Help, God, that I may constantly be ready;
Let nothing turn me from you;
Bring me to Your splendor;
Help complete blessedly;
Come soon; help me out of all distress;
Help me, Lord, through Your blood and death;
Yes, come, Lord Jesus. Amen.

Dr. Johann Olearius, 1671.
I translated "schenket" in the second verse as "has freely given."  More prosaically, it's just "has given," but schenken has a connotation of giving as a present, and I felt that adding "freely" gave at least a hint of this.

In order to avoid a connotation that seemed sort of suicidal, I translated "mein Leben beschließen" in the fourth verse as "close out my life" rather than "end my life."

The last few lines seem to be patterned on part of Revelation 22:20:  "Amen, ja, komm, Herr Jesus!"

As far as I can tell, this hymn isn't present in The Lutheran Hymnal, Lutheran Worship, or The Lutheran Service Book.  According to the Gesangbuch, the text is sung to the tune "Nun freut euch, lieben Chr[isten]."  Here's the arrangement from TLH:


And here's the arrangement from Telemann's Fast allgemeines Evangelisch-Musicalisches Lieder-Buch: