Sunday, November 13, 2022

"Dich bitt ich, trautes Jesul." (#62)

I've neglected to note the divisions of sections.  This hymn is the first in the section labelled "Lieder am Fest der Reinigung Maria" (Am 2 Februar.)."  "Songs for the Feast of the Purification of Mary (On 2 February)"

German text in the Gesangbuch:
Dich bitt ich, trautes Jesulein,
komm zu mir in das Herze mein,
daß ich an dir hab Lust und Freud,
wie Simeon im Tempel heut.

Denn du mein Heil und Leben bist,
so mir von Gott gegeben ist;
reinge mein herz, läutre mein Muth,
erhalt mich auf dein Wegen gut.

Zeig mir die Bahn mit deinem Licht,
daß ich ja fehl des Himmels nicht;
wend ab von mir all Straf und Pein,
und laß mich gar dein eigen sein.

Dein Antlitz sei auf mich gericht,
im Lebn und Tod verlaß mich nicht,
so will ich gern aus dieser Welt
zu dir wandern, wenn dirs gefällt.

Barth. Helder, +1635.
My prose translation:
I ask You, sweet Jesus,
Come to me in my heart
So that in You I have desire and joy,
Like Simeon in the temple to-day.

For You are my salvation and life
That is given to me by God;
Cleanse my heart; purify my courage;
Keep me on your good path.

Show me the way with Your light
So that I indeed do not lack Heaven;
Turn away from me all pain and torment
And let me be completely Your own.

Turn Your face towards me;
Leave me not in life and death
Thus do I want out of this world
To walk to You, when it pleases You.

Barth. Helder, +1635.
The line "like Simeon in the temple to-day" in the first verse refers to Luke 2.

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think the line "erhalt mich auf dein Wegen gut" may contain a grammatical ambiguity:  "gut" could be either a post-positive adjective modifying "Wegen" (and shorn of its inflected ending in order to rhyme with "Muth" at the end of the previous line) or an adverb modifying the verb "erhalt."  In English, the meaning would be either "keep me on Your good path" or "keep me well on Your path."

As far as I can tell, this hymn isn't present in The Lutheran Hymnal, Lutheran Worship, or The Lutheran Service Book.  According to the Gesangbuch, the text is sung to the tune "Herr Jesu Christ, meins."  Here's the arrangement from TLH: