Sunday, May 29, 2022

"O Fürstenkind aus Davids" (#38)

German text in the Gesangbuch:
O Fürstenkind aus Davids Stamm,
o meine Seelen Bräutigam,
Mein Trost, mein Heil, mein Leben,
wie soll ich ewig danken dir,
daß du in Elend kommst zu mir,
was soll ich dir denn geben?
Es geht
und steht
außer Leiden
nur in Freuden,
was man siehet,
weil der Friedefürst einziehet.

Ich selbsten bin der Freuden voll,
ich weiß nicht, was ich schenken soll
dem auserwählten Kinde.
Ach, Herzenskind, nimm immer hin,
nimm hin mein Herze, Muth und Sinn
und mich mit Lieb entzünde.
Schleuß dich
in mich,
in mein Herze,
daß ich herze
dich und küsse,
dich auch ewig lieben müsse.

Bleib, höchster Schatz, o meine Zier,
o meine Wonne, bleib bei mir,
du Hoffnung der Verzagten!
Du Himmelsthau, befruchte mich,
du schönstes Manna, zeige dich
den Armen und Verjagten!
Laß nicht
dein Licht
hier auf Erden
dunkel werden,
laß den Deinen
hie dein Wort noch weiter scheinen.

Philipp von Zesen, um 1643.
My prose translation:
O princely child of David's lineage,
O bridegroom of my soul,
My comfort, my salvation, my life,
How should I ever thank You
That You into misery come to me,
What should I then give to You?
It goes
And stands
Out of suffering
Only in joy
What one sees
Because the Prince of Peace draws near.

I myself am full of joy,
I know not what I should give
To the chosen Child.
Oh, Child of my heart, take always,
Take my heart, courage, and sense
And ignite me with love.
Lock Yourself
In me;
In my heart,
So that I hug
And kiss You,
You I must also love eternally.

Stay, highest Treasure, O my Joy,
O my Delight, stay with me,
You Hope of the despairing!
You Dew of Heaven, make me fruitful,
You most beautiful Manna, show Yourself
To the poor and chased away!
Let not
Your light
Here on earth
Become dark,
Let Your [people]
Here be yet further illumined by Your word.

Philipp von Zesen, um 1643.
The title "Prince of Peace" comes from Isaiah 9:6.

I changed "laß den Deinen / hie dein Wort noch weiter scheinen" from active voice to passive voice.  This was partially to maintain the correct line breaks ("Let Your [people] / Here be yet further illumined by Your word"), but the passive voice also makes the meaning more clear than an active voice translation would (without significantly re-arranging the elements, at least).  The direct object precedes the subject here, and because English doesn't have clear case endings, the two could be easily confused so that instead of "Let Your word here yet further enlighten Your [people]," it's mistaken as "Let Your [people] here yet further enlighten Your word."

As far as I can tell, this hymn isn't present in The Lutheran Hymnal, Lutheran Worship, or The Lutheran Service Book.  The Gesangbuch notes that the text is sung to the tune "Wie schön leuchtet der M[orgenstern]."  Here's an arrangement from TLH: