Sunday, March 13, 2022

"Kommst du nun, Jesu, vom" (#27)

German text in the Gesangbuch:
Kommst du nun, Jesu, vom Himmel herunter auf Erden?
Soll nun der Himmel und Erde vereiniget werden?
Ewiger Gott,
kann dich mein Jammer und Noth
bringen zu Menschengeberden?

Was ich in Adam und Eva durch Sterben verloren,
hast du mir, Jesu, durch Leben und Leiden erkoren.
Gütiger Gott,
alle mein Jammer und Noth
endet sich, da du geboren.

Teufel und Hölle die zürnen und halten zusammen,
wollen mich Sünder verschlingen und gänzlich verdammen.
Mächtiger Gott,
wende den Jammer und Noth,
tilge die höllischen Flammen.

Gib mir, o Jesu, nur heilige, gute Gedanken;
halte die Glieder des Leibes in heiligen Schranken.
Heiliger Gott,
laß mich nach deinem Gebot
herzlich im Glauben dir danken.

Führe mich endlich, o Jesu, ins ewige Leben,
welches du allein, die gläuben, versprochen zu geben;
da ich bei Gott,
ohne Noth, Jammer und Tod,
ewig in Freuden kann schweben.

Casp. Friedr. Nachtenhöfer, 1684.
My prose translation:
Do You come now, Jesus, from Heaven down to earth?
Should now Heaven and earth be united?
Eternal God,
Can my misery and distress
Bring You to [Menschengeberden]?

What I lost in Adam and Eve through dying
You, Jesus, have chosen for me through life and suffering.
Good God,
All my misery and distress end
When You were born.

Devil and hell, which are angry and stick together,
Want to devour and completely condemn me, a sinner.
Mighty God,
Turn the misery and distress,
Extinguish the hellish flames.

Give me, O Jesus, only holy, good thoughts;
Keep the members of the body within holy limits.
Holy God,
Let me, according to Your command
Sincerely thank You in faith.

Lead me finally, O Jesus, into eternal life,
Which You alone promised to give to those who would believe;
There I with God,
Without distress, misery, and death,
Forever in joy can soar.

Casp. Friedr. Nachtenhöfer, 1684.
I couldn't find a translation for "Menschengeberden" in the first verse, although the first part is clearly from Mensch (human).

Extinguish isn't a word that my dictionary listed for tilgen, but it seemed to fit the context better than any of the suggested translations.

As far as I can tell, this hymn doesn't appear in The Lutheran Hymnal, Lutheran Worship, or The Lutheran Service Book.  The Gesangbuch notes that the text is sung to the tune "Lobe den Herren, den mächt."  Here's the TLH arrangement: